Information & Communications Technology
What does this subject involve?
ICT qualifications are designed to enable students to become independent and discerning users of ICT. In addition to acquiring skills and being able to solve problems, students will be made aware of developing technologies, the implications of these and the legal, social, ethical and environmental issues raised by ICT. They will also look at ICT in the context of their own safety and that of others, recognising potential risks and developing safe practices.There are 3 units: Practical IT Skills, Creating IT Systems and Fundamentals of IT. It is assessed in a range of practical tasks which will be done in school and are worth 60%, and a written exam paper at the end of Year 11 worth 40%.
Why should I choose this subject?
This subject is for you if you enjoy using computers in a creative and practical way. During this course you will show you can to use your ICT skills in engaging, imaginative and exciting ways. This course will particularly suit you if you are well organised, able to work to deadlines and enjoy project based work. You will need to have good problem solving skills, be able to evaluate your own work as well as give good feedback to others.
What skills will I need to succeed in this subject?
This course is suitable for most students that show the following attributes:
- problem solving skills
- a good understanding of ICT and a range of programmes
- a willingness to work independently
- evaluation skills
Where could this subject take me in the future?
ICT qualifications provide students with the opportunity to develop the following skills:
- think creatively, logically and critically
- select, use and integrate ICT tools and techniques to meet needs
- find, select and evaluate information
- manipulate and process data
- communicate data and information in a form fit for purpose and audience
- adopt safe, secure and responsible practice when using ICT
- develop appropriate and effective ICT based solutions
- evaluate their own and others’ use of ICT
A good grade in this subject will help you to move on to:
- A Level and Level 3 ICT courses
- preparation for the world of work
- web based design/creation courses or opportunities
Who can I talk to for more information?
Mrs Ashiq and Mr Day.