What does this subject involve?
The course is designed to encourage you to consider the practical application of business and economic concepts, deepen your understanding to current issues in a range of local, national and global contexts. Furthermore, it will give you an insight in to how different types of businesses are set up; how products are positioned in the market; how a business succeeds and looking at the risks involved. This will extend your knowledge greatly if you were ever to set up your own business. You will also be able to develop your knowledge further by reviewing existing case studies and applying knowledge to various business contexts.
The course is fully exam based; it has no coursework element to it. You will study two main units as listed below:
UNIT 1: Business activity, marketing and people
UNIT 2: Operations, finance and influences on business
Each unit is worth 50% each of the final GCSE. Unit 2 will require you to be confident with basic Maths as there is an element of analysing business accounts in the final exam.
Why should I choose this subject?
If you have the characteristics of a leader, are inspired by others, work well in a team, are creative, innovative, ambitious and can lead from the front then this course is for you. There are many young entrepreneurs who have become very successful business people as seen on the show ‘Young Apprentice’. The GCSE course will provide a variety of opportunities for you to lead, work in a team and manage a small business of your own within a school setting. Alongside this, there are other enrichment opportunities such as setting up your own enterprise for real and competing against other schools at trade fairs, shopping centres etc. Should you wish to set up your own business or aspire to become a business man/women in the future then these skills can be utilised for your project.
This course will enable you to:
- develop and apply knowledge, understanding and skills to contemporary issues in local, national and global contexts
- recall, select and communicate your knowledge and understanding of concepts, issues and terminology
- apply ICT skills, knowledge and understanding in a variety of contexts and in planning and carrying out investigations and tasks
- deepen your knowledge on the different types of businesses and how a business is set up
- become a confident analytical thinker
What skills will I need to succeed in this subject?
- Good literacy/written skills
- Good mathematical skills
- Creative thinker
- Reflective thinker
- Independent enquire
- Team Player
Where could this subject take me in the future?
- Progression on to Level 3 Business courses
- A Level Economics/Business Studies
- Apprenticeship courses
- Finance Management
- Human Resources Management
- Sales/Marketing Management
- Customer Service Management
- Public relations
- Business Analyst
Who can I talk to for more information?